We all know that cycling helps break a sweat. But, you might wonder what an idle exercise bike at home will do to help you in your exercise routine. Let us help you crack some secret wonders that it can do that will change your mind!
Let’s understand the basic energy cycle of human beings. It may be surprising for you to know that just like the various gym equipment’s, our body is also an energy conversion equipment. The food that we eat is converted into energy through various chemical processes occurring in the body. The fraction of each meal stored utilized as energy depends on the level of physical activity we perform. If excess food is eaten, that goes into turning body fat. It is necessary to find an effective and efficient way to burn this excess fat whilst also strengthening the heart, muscle and lung health.
If you compare a stationary bike to other cardio equipment’s, you will see that the exercise bike shoots two goals with one arrow. One is that it gives less stress to the body joints and the other is that it provides an amazing workout.
Health and Fitness- Cycling
Here’s a sneak-peek of the amazing benefits of cycling on an exercise bike:
- Reduced strain – An exercise bike causes low impact force and injuries on joints and ligaments compared to the other forms of exercise.
- Provide a good workout– The rotating pedal motion of cycling makes all of the major muscle groups.
- It’s not difficult – Unlike the other exercises, cycling doesn’t need high levels of physical skills or strength. Most people are aware of how to ride a regular cycle and if not, it can be learnt once and for all.
- Customizable intensity– Cycling can be as intense as you want it to be. A low intensity is a great start if you are a beginner.
- It’s fun! – If you want get the adventurous feel of panting from coasting down hills at your home, an exercise bike is a great fit that will motivate you more likely to continue to ride it regularly.
- Not time consuming – One great benefit of cycling on an exercise bike is that it is a healthy substitute for the sedentary duration of hours spent driving motor vehicles or travelling by trains or buses.
Cycling is considered as an aerobic activity, where your heart, blood vessels and lungs all get a workout. The breath gets deeper, perspiration increases the body temperature, which will increase the overall fitness level. The fitness benefits of the exercise bike include:
- increased cardiovascular strength
- increased muscular strength and flexibility
- improved joint mobility
- Less stress levels
- Posture coordination
- Toughened bones
- Reduced levels of body fat
- Avoidance of diseases
- Reduced anxiety and depression.
Obesity and Weight Loss Management
Cycling is a great way to maintain weight loss, because it regulates the metabolism rate of your body, helps in muscle building and burns extra body fat. Furthermore, it is an exercise where you can manage the pace and intensity – it can be developed up slowly and tailored to suit your needs.
Research suggests that if you cycle at least twice a day, the kilojoules of energy burnt quickly add up.
Cardiovascular Disease Prevention
Risk of cardiovascular diseases like heart stroke, high blood pressure and heart attack increase with an idle lifestyle.
Many research studies have been undertaken. The relationship between exercise and cancer, especially colon and breast cancer have been studied. Some of the evidences say that cycling daily decreases the risk of breast cancer.
Bone and Joint Health
Exercise bikes helps to improve muscle strength, balance and coordination. It also helps to avoid broken bone fractures. Riding an exercise bike is an amazing form of exercise for people who suffer from osteoarthritis, as it is causes less strain and impact on the body joints. Cycling is not just for osteoporosis which a disease that thins the bones as it is not an exercise that involves bearing weight.
Mental health concerns such as depression and anxiety can be managed with the help of regular bike exercise. This aids in creating positive effects of the exercise on the mind and body by releasing endorphins accompanied by the enjoyment of bike exercising. In order to live a fit and healthy life, it is important to be physically active. Cycling on an exercise bike is a healthy, less- strenuous exercise that can be practiced by people of all ages, right from young children to adults. It is also a fun, affordable way to burn calories. Moreover, it is also environment-friendly.